Calling All Artists in New Jersey’s Heartland
A great opportunity for artists in New Jersey’s Heartland has come to our attention and we wanted to share the news!
The WheatonArts and Cultural Center houses one of the finest facilities of the glass medium, known internationally. This year, WheatonArts will select six New Jersey artists and invite them to their glass studio for a two part, seven-day intensive workshop. Artists will have an opportunity to learn about glass and glass making processes and obtain the opportunity to apply “this intriguing material to their individual artistic aspirations”.
The workshop will take place July 26 – 30, 2016 at WheatonArts. There will be an additional 2 days that will be announced at a later date.
During their residencies artists will participate in:
- An orientation to the history of American glass and Museum tour
- An orientation to the material of glass through a variety of experiences including glassblowing, casting and other processes/techniques
- Presentations and/or lectures featuring a variety of artists who use glass
- Presentations given by the registered artists themselves
- The design of individual projects that meet the artistic goals of the selected participating artists
- Planning the process of making individual projects with the assistance of staff, through the orientation to glass color, inclusions, mold making and issues related to using glass with other materials
- Orientation to cold working processes (grinding, sandblasting, polishing, etc.)
- Group critiques
- Evaluation of the program
WheatonArts will provide housing in the Country Inn Hotel that is adjacent to their campus. Meals and evening activities will also be planned. Artists need will only need to pay for the cost of traveling to and from Millville, NJ and a modest amount for food.
If you would like to apply for this exceptional opportunity, you can do so by filling out this form.
Good luck to those who apply!